Xinhua (10 January 2019)
A financial crisis emerged between Iraq and Jordan after the latter demanded Iraq to pay debt of over one billion U.S. dollars, reported local al-Mada newspaper on Thursday.
In return, the financial committee of the Iraqi Parliament said that Iraq requested release of multi-billion frozen deposits from Saddam Hussein era.
The newspaper quoted a Jordanian official as saying that "the financial file between Iraq and Jordan is still pending, as there are financial claims by the two sides against the other since 2003 remained unsettled yet."
"The Jordanian claims include debts for the Jordanian central bank on its Iraqi counterpart of more than one billion U.S. dollars," the Jordanian official said.
On the other hand, the newspaper quoted the rapporteur of the financial committee in the Iraqi parliament Hoshyar Abdullah as saying that "the available information indicates that Iraq has got 3-5 billion dollars deposited in Jordan from Saddam's era, and Jordan has never declared it."
He said that Iraq "is yet to make real action to reclaim the frozen deposits in Jordan, therefore, it is important for both sides to get its right back," according to the newspaper.
Iraq and Jordan have long maintained good relations and the two sides are working to enhance ties especially after the full defeat of the Islamic State (IS) group in Iraq and the secure of the joint border crossing point of Treibil and the main international Baghdad-Amman road in Iraq's western province of Anbar.
No comments yet.
- INTERNATIONAL FORUM TO DISCUSS UZBEKISTAN’S LONG-TERM DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY Asia - Pacific 11.01.2019
- KOREA VOICES 'DEEP REGRETS' OVER TOKYO OFFICIAL'S CRITICISM OF MOON AMID FORCED LABOR DISPUTE Asia - Pacific 11.01.2019
- CROATIAN DIPLOMAT RECALLED FOR ‘ATTENDING BOSNIAN SERB CELEBRATION’ The Balkans 11.01.2019
- ARMENIA ACTING PM: AIM OF REDUCING MINISTRIES IS NOT SAVING MONEY The Caucasus and Turkish-Armenian Relations 11.01.2019
- QATAR TO PROVIDE IRAQ $1 BILLION FOR RESTORING INFRASTRUCTURE Iraq 11.01.2019
Türk-Ermeni Uyuşmazlığı Üzerine Ömer Engin Lütem Konferansları 2018
Ermeni Sorunuyla İlgili İngiliz Belgeleri (1912-1923) - British Documents on Armenian Question (1912-1923)
Turkish-Russian Academics: A Historical Study on the Caucasus
Gürcistan'daki Müslüman Topluluklar: Azınlık Hakları, Kimlik, Siyaset
Armenian Diaspora: Diaspora, State and the Imagination of the Republic of Armenia
Ermeni Sorunu Temel Bilgi ve Belgeler (2. Baskı)