Japan's State Minister for Foreign Affairs Masahisa Sato has blasted Moon on Twitter for having said that the Tokyo government, as well as Seoul, should respect a court decision in Korea over the
Moon made the remarks during his first press conference of the new year on Thursday, amid the dispute over last week's court approval of a petition to seize Korea-based assets of Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal at the request of victims of forced labor during Tokyo's 1910-45 colonial rule.
"We think it is deeply regrettable that (Sato) has responded in this manner," the ministry official said on condition of anonymity. "It is Japan that should squarely face history and have a humble attitude."
During the press conference, Moon called on Tokyo to have a "more modest position," attributing the dispute to the two countries' "unfortunate" past. He also said it was "undesirable" for Japanese politicians to politicize the issue and escalate it into a controversy.
Last year, the Supreme Court in Seoul ordered the Japanese firm to pay compensation to four South Koreans for their forced labor and unpaid work during World War II. As the firm refused to comply with the ruling, the plaintiffs requested asset seizure.
Japan has requested government-to-government talks based on Article III of a 1965 treaty between Seoul and Tokyo that normalized bilateral ties. Seoul has not made any decision on the request.
No comments yet.
- CROATIAN DIPLOMAT RECALLED FOR ‘ATTENDING BOSNIAN SERB CELEBRATION’ The Balkans 11.01.2019
- NEW INTERNATIONAL LAND-SEA TRADE CORRIDOR AIMS TO BENEFIT CHINESE MARKET Asia 11.01.2019
- WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM RECOGNISES TATA STEEL'S NETHERLANDS PLANT AS 'FACTORY OF THE FUTURE' Europe 11.01.2019
- MINISTER: INTERNALLY DISPLACED IRAQIS WILL RETURN TO THEIR AREAS IN 2019 Iraq 11.01.2019
- POLAND WANTS A FORT WITH DONALD TRUMP’S NAME ON IT Europe 11.01.2019
Ermeni Sorunuyla İlgili İngiliz Belgeleri (1912-1923) - British Documents on Armenian Question (1912-1923)
Turkish-Russian Academics: A Historical Study on the Caucasus
Gürcistan'daki Müslüman Topluluklar: Azınlık Hakları, Kimlik, Siyaset
Armenian Diaspora: Diaspora, State and the Imagination of the Republic of Armenia
Ermeni Sorunu Temel Bilgi ve Belgeler (2. Baskı)