Asharq Al-Awsat (22 May 2020)
Is a military clash between the United States and Iran inevitable? Since last January, when the Americans assassinated Tehran’s top general, Qassem Soleimani, policy circles in major capitals have grappled with the question without reaching a consensus.
At the time of this writing, the question is bouncing back as Iranian tankers carrying oil to Venezuela risk running into an American cordon designed to keep them away.
The mullahs have threatened “dire consequences” if the US does try to stop the tankers. Since the Islamic Republic lacks the naval power to escort the tankers right down to Venezuelan ports, the “dire consequences” would not come in the form of a naval battle in the Caribbean. Instead, as the daily Kayhan, expressing “Supreme Guide” Ali Khamenei’s views, said in an editorial Monday, retaliation may come in the form of a seizure of one or more US oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz. Another option is targeting all oil tankers in the waterway for a fixed period as Iran did in 1988.
No comments yet.
- DENMARK PLANS TWO HUGE ‘ENERGY ISLANDS’ TO MEET CLIMATE GOALS Europe - EU 22.05.2020
- GREECE TO REOPEN TO TOURISTS ON JUNE 15 The Balkans 22.05.2020
- THAT GERMAN COURT RULING HURTS EU RULE-OF-LAW FIGHTBACK Europe - EU 22.05.2020
- AZERBAIJAN’S DEFENSE MINISTER OPENS NEW MILITARY UNITS AND INSPECTS FACILITIES UNDER CONSTRUCTION IN FRONTLINE ZONE The Caucasus and Turkish-Armenian Relations 22.05.2020
- NPC: CHINA TO PRESENT HK 'SEDITION' LAW AT PARLIAMENT Asia - Pacific 22.05.2020
Anastas Mikoyan: Confessions of an Armenian Bolshevik
Sovyet Sonrası Ukrayna’da Devlet, Toplum ve Siyaset - Değişen Dinamikler, Dönüşen Kimlikler
Türk-Ermeni Uyuşmazlığı Üzerine Ömer Engin Lütem Konferansları 2019
Türk-Ermeni Uyuşmazlığı Üzerine Ömer Engin Lütem Konferansları 2018
Ermeni Sorunuyla İlgili İngiliz Belgeleri (1912-1923) - British Documents on Armenian Question (1912-1923)
Turkish-Russian Academics: A Historical Study on the Caucasus
Gürcistan'daki Müslüman Topluluklar: Azınlık Hakları, Kimlik, Siyaset
Armenian Diaspora: Diaspora, State and the Imagination of the Republic of Armenia
Ermeni Sorunu Temel Bilgi ve Belgeler (2. Baskı)
BOOK PRESENTATION - PHASE LINE ATTILA, THE AMPHIBIOUS CAMPAIGN FOR CYPRUS, 1974